E-commerce is a very competitive business. You have to arm yourself with the proper know-how and the tools to make your site stand out above the rest. Each day, more and more sites are clambering to optimize their rankings in the search engines making it increasingly challenging to get found easily online.
Most people who use search engines never get past the first page.
Making it to the first page is the holy grail of search engine optimization. It’s what every business owner strives for.
To rank higher in search is an ongoing challenge. In fact, what you do today may be passe’ tomorrow and it’s become a game for most SEO experts to help their clients’ sites overtake the competition.
And yet, everyone needs to do it. At least to do their best to optimize their sites to have a better chance of being found.
The best sites have figured this out. They have learned how to stand out, get to page one. For one thing, they are very specific in what they do and why they do it. They don’t cloud their sites with frivolous content that does not help their sites get found. In fact, most of the content they create has a specific purpose. To increase their credibility, their expertise and their rankings.
Here are 6 super simple tips to help your site achieve higher rankings in the search engines:
- Do a search of the phrases or topics you want to be known for and found under. Search all the major search engines. Google. Yahoo. Bing.
- Make a list of the top 3 results for that phrase or topic (the websites listed on page one)
- Go to http://www.ranks.nl/ and submit the first website. Ranks.nl helps you build search engine friendly websites with the best page analyzer on the web. Look at the keyword phrases site the first site uses. Make a list of those phrases. Do the same with the next 2 sites.
- Choose the most common phrases used among those three sites. Use those same phrases on your site. Only use One phrase per page.
- Add that phrase to your page at the beginning of the page, in the middle and at the end.
- Use that phrase in your page title tab, description tag and header tags. Also use it in the image you add to the page..
Other tips to get better rankings and increase traffic to your site:
- Increase links to your site. Submit your sites to search engines, to social media, to forums and anywhere that is relevant and will allow you to promote your website.
- Submit articles to blogs (guest blogging) – make sure those sites allow you to have a link back to your site.
- Keep adding relevant, valuable, unique content to your site that your audience will appreciate and want.
- Submit your site to the search engines. Once they know you have new content they are more likely to revisit and re-rank your site.
- Use Google Trends for updates on how searches in a subject change over time. You can use it to predict spikes and slumps as well as to know when you should update and change pages for the season or switch to using different keywords. You can look at and compare several different terms at a time
- Add images to all your content. Optimize all your images by giving them appropriate titles and descriptions. Use “quote” marks in the alt tags so the search engines know what the image is about.
If you follow this formula your web pages should start getting better rankings in the search engines
Want to learn more about Search Engine Optimization?
Did you know when you join Women in Ecommerce you get the WordPress SEO Mastery program AND the SEO Business in a Box Program for FREE! Join for only $27 (Silver level) $9 a month (Gold level) $147 (Platinum level) or $497 (Lifetime level) and receive these and many more valuable resources to grow your business.